Monster Energy Drink Cited in Deaths

Incident reports released by the FDA earlier this week reveal that 5 people have died after drinking Monster Energy in the past 3 years. The latest death was that of a 14-year-old in Maryland who drank 2 Monster drinks in a 24-hour period and later died of “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity,” according to medical examiner reports.

The New York Times reports that the Maryland teen was aware she had Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which affects the body’s connective tissue and blood vessels, but was never advised by her doctors to restrict her physical activity or caffeine use.

The drink is high in caffeine – 240 milligrams in 24 ounces – and is not recommended for children, those who are sensitive to caffeine, or those with underlying conditions like heart disorders. Other FDA filings have included reports of abdominal pain, vomiting, and abnormal heart rate.

While the filings are being investigated by the FDA, their presence in the FDA’s adverse-risk database does not confirm a causal link or risk from the product. A spokeswoman for Monster Energy stated she was “unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks.”

Sources: NY Times

Print Friendly, PDF & Email