Winter Warning: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning & Home Heating Equipment

The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) urges homeowners to be mindful of the dangers associated with heating and fuel-burning equipment.

The NFPA offers the following practical tips for a safe and worry-free winter:

  • Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms monthly. Properly maintained alarms can save lives in the event of a fire or dangerous CO levels.
  • During and after a snowstorm make sure vents for the dryer, stove, furnace, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • Use your oven to cook food only. Never use it to heat your home.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.

Source: nfpa.gov

Print Friendly